Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:01:55 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Paul A. Mayer" <paul@fnug.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synaptics touchpad support

Paul A. Mayer said on Feb 10, 2003 at 11:01:45:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> Well, it compiles on 5.0-Release-p1.  The psm initialization gives some
> specs about the device and some of it's features. ... but I don't see
> any consequences of this in apps, like mozilla.  And under gnome the
> pressure sensitivity of the touchpad (e.g., tap to click) is now gone.

Yes, this was noted back then.  See
 http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+archive/2003/freebsd-hackers/20030112.freebsd-hackers

> I have no great understanding of how any of this should work.  Can you
> give some pointers.  (How do I get touch sensitivity back?  How should
> it be configured into X?  Where should I be able to see the effects of
> the patch?)

Well, without doing anything, you should be able to see some activity
from the "up" button: in my case, it worked by default as a middle
button, while the "down" button did nothing but showed up in xev, for
example.  Basically, left=1, up=2 right=3 ,down=4.

What I really wanted was for "up" to mean up, "down" to mean down, and
I was happy to emulate "middle" with simultaneous left-right as
before.  The following does it for me: I run moused with the options
-m 5=4 -m 4=2 -a 0.5
(the -a is because this driver scales the speed up a bit too much
for my liking).  And in my XF86Config I have
        Option       "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option       "Buttons"  "5"
I *don't* have the Option "ZAxisMapping "4 5" which the howto's
for wheel mice will tell you to insert -- seems it's there by default.
And if I insert it, curiously, it stops working...

- Rahul