Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:54:11 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Gerry Herrera" <gherrera@cnetco.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache with Front Page Server Extentions - Apache_FP-1.3.26_x

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Herrera" <gherrera@cnetco.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 8:40 AM

> Does the httpd binary executable in this Ported App already have the
> Apache FPSE patch applied to it?  Or, is this just Plain Apache
1.3.26?

I'm not an expert but thought I'd pass along how it worked for me.
Maybe others will correct me if I'm wrong... :)

Anyway, I don't think the plain Apache port has the FP patch compiled
in.  However, when you install the FP extensions port, you will see
mod_frontpage get installed as a dependency.  As I understand it, then
mod_frontpage gets loaded as a "DSO".  I don't remember what "DSO"
stands for exactly but it means that it mod_frontpage gets loaded
dynamically when Apache starts, resulting in the same functionalitly
as if it were compiled in.  There is probably a small performance
penalty by not having the patch compiled into the Apache binary but it
is much simpler to set up.

> Also, is it just that the config file has been setup for FPSE, and I
> have to apply the patches locally, and then rebuild Apache locally?
> For this Port to work.

So what worked for me was to install the Apache port first and then
install the FrontPage Extensions port.  I did not have to build Apache
from source.  Then the fun begins in ensuring that your httpd.conf
file is set correctly so the extensions work.  Sorry, I don't remember
the specifics.

There is also an Apache+FP port that installs both together.  However
I don't know how it gets along with other Apache modules or options.
I just chose to install the plain port and then add other pieces
individually.  This worked for me.  YMMV.

> Is, their other FreeBSD documentation more specific about what needs
> happen on the FreedBSD side of installing this Port, and then Using
it?
>  Most references push the seeker to the MicroSoft Website which only
> details the "after" the Server is up and running - and very little
about
> the Server install other than run the install script.

I didn't find much either when I looked.  Good luck in getting
everything working!

HTH,

Drew

> Most of the Websites that have documented their install, all show
that
> they have run the FPSE Apache Patch, and then Rebuilt the Apache
Server.