Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:13:07 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel option proposed..

On Mar 7, 23:22, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
} > Hmmm.. seems more obvious, but then won't that kind of mean that we
} > can't say RTFM?  After all, the standard 4.4bsd manuals, Unix System
} > Administrator Handbook, etc.. all refer to GENERIC in their kernel
} > configuration sections.
}
} I'm not proposing to remove the generic kernel, simply the magic
} meaning of the keyword "GENERIC" in our kernel sources.  What if you
} wanted to compile a non-GENERIC kernel with safety belts still intact?

Hmmm, but the idea isn't bad at all ...

Why not put an

  options GENERIC

line into the BOOTMFS and GENERIC kernel
config files. This way all the earlier
dependencies on the GENERIC kernel name
will still work.

The removal of the automatic definition
of the kernel's name as a preprocesser
symbol was good. But why not add the
definition of GENERIC, since it serves
a purpose, is explicit in the config file
and a symbol that shouldn't be used for
any other purpose currently ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160