Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:13:53 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD user <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 3.4p1_1 and reverse ip

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 05:50:23AM -0600, FreeBSD user wrote:
> > however, it's worth trying giving the chroot'ed sshd a copy of your
> > resolv.conf to see if that makes a difference:
> >
> >    cd ~sshd
> >    mkdir etc
> >    cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/
>
> Tried that. I copied resolv.conf to /home/sshd/, ran vipw and set:
> sshd:*:22:22::0:0:sshd privilege separation:/home/sshd:/nonexistent
> And reran sshd again. It didn't change anything. But anything at this
> point is worth trying. I appreciate the effort you've shown me.

The chroot path is compiled into the sshd binary, not read from the
passwd database.  Unfortunately the location of that directory has
moved about a bit over the past few revisions.  If you install from
ports, the sshd account is set up with it's home directory as the
chroot used by sshd.  My saying `~sshd' there was a futile attempt to
avoid the full complexity of the situation.

It goes like this:

If you've installed openssh-portable from source without using the
port, or if you're using the port and the directory /var/empty exists,
then /var/empty will be used for the chroot.

Otherwize, if you install from the port with -DOPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE
but /var/empty doesn't exist, then /usr/empty will be used.

If you just do a plain install from ports and /var/empty doesn't
exist, then /usr/local/empty will be used.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK