Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 02:17:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net access to motif? Is this a goofy idea or what?

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Dave Bodenstab wrote:

> I noticed that someone else brought up the question of linking motif
> applications without having to buy motif...  Unfortunately, lesstif is
> not yet near enough to completion.  I am not really interested as a
> developer in using motif -- I just want to link various public software
> packages to create static binaries -- so it's not worth the money (at least
> for now) to buy the libraries.  But I, too, would like to link using the
> motif libraries.  Let me float this idea...

Version 0.71 of lesstif was released a few days. My first attempt at
compiling Xinvest worked, but with a few warnings. I am currently testing
it. So far one core dump and quite a few diagnostic warnings (widget
problems), but it does sort of run. Sure looks pretty. Lesstif is getting
there, maybe in another 6 months ....

The linux binaries are available. You could try running these. Then if
you really like something maybe the cost of swim motif will be more
acceptable.

I don't think you can distibute motif in the fashion you propose without
severely violating the vendors license.

Regards Richard ...