Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:30:32 GMT
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/85104: keyboard(4) manpage hides behind Xorg version

The following reply was made to PR docs/85104; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org,
 garys@opusnet.com
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:23:47 +0200

 Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 >  Neither (untouched "manpath.config", no MANPATH), but my PATH obviously
 >  doesn't work well with the installed "manpath.config".

 Ah, I see now. Changing $PATH so that /usr/X11R6/bin comes in front changes
 the search order of manpages aswell:

 % echo $PATH
 /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/lesi/bin
 % man -w keyboard
 /usr/share/man/man4/keyboard.4.gz

 % echo $PATH
 /usr/X11R6/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/home/lesi/bin
 % man -w keyboard
 /usr/X11R6/man/man4/keyboard.4x.gz

 I could still argue though that changing PATH is as advanced as changing
 MANPATH, but it doesn't feel like it :)
 So with default PATH and man path, user should get FreeBSD keyboard manpage
 first and could explicitly specify 'man 4x keyboard' to get X11 manpage which
 is what ports/25576 was trying to address.
 But then again if you change PATH so X11 stuff is first perhaps it is expected
 to also get manpages for X11 first?
 You guys will know best in any case so I'll just stop theorizing :)