Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:58:57 +0000
From:      Marco van Tol <marco@tols.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Per CPU cpu-statistics under SMP

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 08:23:48AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 07:33 am, Marco van Tol wrote:

[...]

> > Is there anything you can say regarding an estimate on when per-cpu
> > specific stats will hit the official CURRENT and STABLE branches?
> >
> > Are you interested in what I did to gkrellm so far?  All that was necessary
> > was a small patch to src/sysdeps/freebsd.c in the gkrellm tree as far as
> > making it work with your patch was concerned.  I can send the patch to your
> > email adres, or make it available on my website. :)
>
> Well, the goal of the patch was to provide a small performance optimization by
> holding sched_lock for a shorter period of time.  Curiously, it actually
> resulted in a performance decrease on i386 and amd64 in benchmarks.  On a 10
> cpu sparc64 machine it did result in an improvement.  I need to do more
> research to determine why it would hurt performance for the x86 case (even on
> 4 cpu boxes) as I don't want to go committing things that hurt performance.

I understand and agree for what that's worth. :)

> If I can address the performance problems though this is the interface that
> would be presented to userland.

OK, I'll keep an eye on this list and /usr/src/UPDATES, assuming it will end
up in either if it were added.  Meanwhile, I'll see if gkrellm likes my
changes sufficiently to commit them to their CVS tree after I got things to
work in client/server mode as well.  If anything should change for whatever
reason it should be fairly trivial to make the necessary changes.

Thanks a lot,

Marco

--
Laat wat je niet laten kunt, en doe wat je niet doen kunt, en word miljonair.