Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:20:11 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ARRGH Netscape stinks!

You know, I have to agree.  Unfortunately many of the alternatives are
pretty unstable.  I would like to see a basic web browser that handles
current java/script, css, HTML/1.? etc without being so bloated that
it is unusable and unstable enough to make surfing a nightmare.

Mozilla is a good client, but is notoriously unstable.  I gave up
after trying 2 or 3 different versions, each on 3 different OSs.  I
would like to see a version of the web client with all the other crap
hacked out.  Maybe then the web code could be stabilized better.

Preferably, this hypothetical browser would let me *choose* my own
mail client (there's a new concept).  If I want to use a native
client, fine, but if I want to use mutt, pine, Exmh, or whatever, I
should be able to do that too.

Maybe the FreeBSD community should get together and define the
'perfect' web client?  Then maybe someone would actually write one for
a change.  As far as I'm concerned, the web browser should be
mousable (web browsers are the only thing that bring me to my mouse
anymore), but should be completely workable from the keyboard - one
advantage to Lynx.

Just my $0.02

Lou

On 07/16/01 09:01 AM, Steve Tremblett sat at the `puter and typed:
> Is there ANY alternative to Netscape?  I'm running Linux Netscape 4.77
> and I'm fed up with having it freeze or crash every hour.  Is the
> native Netscape any better?  Is there another alternative?  I've tried
> Mozilla, but it crashed on the first site I went to, so I deinstalled
> it.
>
> Any suggestions?  (please no jokers suggesting lynx! :)
>
> --
> Steve Tremblett

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Logic is a little bird, sitting in a tree; that smells *awful*.