Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:48:06 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> For further reading, see
>      http://members.tripod.com/~NH_PEACE_ACTION/Dispell_myths.htm
>
> I don't know about everything listed there, but from what I've read in
> various places before, what they say about the food situation is
> substantially true, and so is what they say about Saddam Hussein's
> spending on public infrastructure and improving the lives of his
> people.  The same is true of Gadhafi in Libya, by the way.  And
> neither of them is an Islamic fundamentalist.  It doesn't mean they're
> nice guys, but there are far uglier people in that neighbourhood.

If the sanctions are so problematic, there is an easy way to
end them: Saddam the great humanitarian could step down.

That said, I disagree with a number of the so called facts --
it is well known that Iraq still posesses many SCUD missles,
since the U.S. "pinpoint" strikes on missle lanunchers were
in fact often attacks on plywood decoys.

It is also well known that Iraq has at least some stockpiles
of weaponized Anthrax, and that they consistently prevented
U.N. inspectors from entering certain areas, until their
weapons stores had been removed to other locations.

I agree that their nuclear bombs program has been derailed;
however, this does not prevent them from purchasing weapons
from other countries; nether does a nuclear weapon have to be
a fusion or fission device to be deadly: Plutonium is one of
the most metabolically poisonous substances known.  Even if
it is not purified sufficiently to create a fission device, it
is still deadly in and of itself.

Most U.S. citizens believed at the time, and currently believe,
that the Gulf War was over oil.  That particular "debunking" is
for a myth very few ever believed.  Freeing Kuwait from an
invasion by a hostile army was a nice bonus.

-- Terry