Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:16:58 EDT
From:      ESPO247@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 Device Time out

--part1_19fa593b.24971faa_boundary

From: ESPO247@aol.com
Full-name: ESPO247
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:36:08 EDT
To: rneswold@mcs.net

> If the I/O address is set correctly, the card will be "detected" and "all
>  will go well at boot" -- regardless of whether the IRQ is set properly.
>  I've had probe messages indicate the card was detected, but still had to
>  correct the IRQ before the timeout messages would go away. Also, I get
>  timeout messages if I don't have a cable connected to the card.

I really don't know anything about hardware. If I compile the kerne to use
the device on a free IRQ that isn't used by anything else, is that all I need
to do in the way of setting the IRQ? Or is there something on the card that
needs to be configured to use a certain IRQ? I double checked earlier to make
sure nothing else compiled into my kernel was using that IRQ, and I booted
into visual configuration and no conflicts were reported. Somone told me it
wants IRQ5, so I compiled using that IRQ and still got the message. Somone
else said something about going into BIOS settings and making the IRQ ISA
useable. IRQ 5 was listed as "Used by ISA card".

Also I have the cables plugged in, and both the hub and the card itself
report a carrier on the line, and I even see the "data transmit" LED light up
sometimes (for example while I was recompiling one of the kernels).

I appreciate the help, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. _The Complete
FreeBSD_ dosn't have much about hardware in it. And none of the other books I
have say anything about hardware.

>  Hope this helps...
>
>    Rich

Thanks for your help,