Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 09:31:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>
To:        Doug Schwieder <dougschwieder@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports install problems

Doug Schwieder wrote:

> I've had problems with both kde & gnome not responding to mouse clicks.
> Always on the same buttons, in same windows, some graphical
> configuration stuff does'nt do anything when you try it. eg:
> screensavers, black screen instead of demos, no preview button, no edit
> options on some, optional window managers don't work, enlightenment,
> aren't listed, etc I could go on and on so I'm suspecting this stuff
> isn't completely installed. Uninstalled reinstalled 2 3 4 times can't
> keep track now.
>
> More stuff is functional but same general situation.
>
> In order to solve tried reinstalling "all" ports, to avoid problems and
> time installing separate packages. This doesn't work, error messages
> about not being able to find "9e...tar.gz", etc. Tried installing gnome
> & kde, same messages about numerous files. Solution: went to 2nd vt
> added packages that make said weren't there, went back to make again,
> each time this got me farther before error messages came up. Eventually
> added all the packages that make couldn't find, make happened error
> free. This went ditto for gnome & kde. This somewhat confused me though.
> Wasn't using "pkg_add..." installing the binaries, which make would have
> had to compile from source? If that's the difference between adding
> packages and ports, why did make suddenly find the source after adding
> the packages manually in binary form? Incidentally the names of the
> files that make said it couldn't find always had a slightly different
> extension than the package file on the cdrom. eg "gnome....tar.gz" in
> error message versus "gnome ....tgz" on cd. Also incidentally, for this
> reason I gave up on linux, exact same problem with Mandrake cd's I
> bought a year or 2 ago, gnome & kde weren't very functional.
>
> Looking in the handbook that came with the dist, I see that make looks
> for the files in either /usr/ports/distfiles, which is almost completely
> empty, except for what I add manually, and /cdrom/ports/distfiles. On my
> cd's there isn't any ports directory on 3 or 4. Of course #1 has the
> ports directory but no distfiles. Is this the answer to why make can't
> find them? Or is this a typo in the book? Where does make look for the
> files?

1) Packages (aka ones with .tgz extension) are pre compiled at the time
of the CD's release.  Therefore they obviously appeared once you
installed the package either with the package_manager in sysinstall or
with pkg_add.

2) The ports collection are designed to build the binary package from
the source code, usually downloaded from one of the hosts that carry it
on the internet.  The advantage can be that by using cvsup you can get
the most recent additions/changes to the ports collection and build the
selected port with the most recent improvements and features.

3) Please change your email settings to send in plain text and not html.

Thanks, and I hope this helps.