Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:47:54 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Matt Sykes <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live! or PCI512 help

On Friday 08 February 2002 05:50 pm, Matt Sykes wrote:
>  --- Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net> wrote: >    I have a
> SoundBlaster PCI512 -- which, I've read, is essentially
>
> > the same as a Live! card.  I can't get mine to make a sound in
> > FBSD.
> > (Sings like a canary in m$, so I know it works...)  If you're
> > familiar with getting either (PCI512 or Live!) card working and
> > have
> > spotted anything I've missed or screwed up, I'd love to hear from
> > you.  I have been searching the FBSD site and Googling the web
> > (oh,
>
> I have problems with my SB Live card.
>
> emu10k isn't working very well in FreeBSD (4.5-stable).
>
> Check out the problem reports, search for 'emu10k'.  I even
> followed up on one of them.
>
> As others have suggested esound works well -- in fact mp3s sound
> fairly good with xmms-esound (not great though).
>
> But wav files are cut off with popping noises, and without esound
> wav files are completely hosed.
>
> I hear -current has some or all of these problems solved though.

   I tried xmms 1.2.5 with the esound plugin... still, nothing.  (The
esound that I have installed I just d/l'd from FreeBSD.org -
v0.2.23).  I tried an mp3 and some wav files.
   I did find something curious...  When I opened the xmms
Preferences dialog while running Gnome as a regular user, xmms froze;
clicking anywhere in one of its windows caused my PC speaker (the
tinny little thing inside the case -- not the ones I _want_ to hear)
would beep.  My only recourse was to kill xmms.  If I opened the
Preferences dialog as root, I had no problem.  I tried it without
running Gnome and I had no problem setting preferences as either a
regular user or root.  I think I'll post that little bit of info to
the gnome-list mailing list.
   I'm beginning to wonder if there's a conflict or if I'm just
missing something -- be it a file or a setting.
   Does any know that I should be able to make my PC512 work w/ FBSD?
 (... or am I in uncharted waters?)  If so, what minimum files I
should have for this to work?
   Does anyone know how I can make sure that something's not hogging
some necessary resource (device or otherwise) when I want to play a
sound?
   Any and all help, suggestions, and comments will be much
appreciated.
Thanks, again,
Bob

--
"Diligence is the mother of good luck." -- Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)