Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:49:18 -0500
From:      Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CLang flags query:: I'm wanting to port software to FreeBSD

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:43:38PM -0500, Joe Nosay wrote:
> > I've noticed different flags such as -Wno-parentheses and such along with
> > the -Wno-unused-variable. I would like to know where would be a good
> source
> > online to find the flags; and, I would like to know what flags are used
> by
> > porters to optimize builds. These will be placed on the Makefile of the
> > source such that it can be built  natively on FreeBSD. I would be able to
> > test software.
>
> There is unfortunately no central reference for Clang warning flags.
> The closest I've found is
>

> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#options-to-control-error-and-warning-messages
>
> but it omits most of them.
>
> Flags of the form -Wno-* disable warnings, usually because the code in
> question is vendor code we don't want to touch, a mess no one want's to
> clean up, or both.  You should generally avoid them.  I'm confused why
> you talk about optimization in the context of these flags.  They have no
> impact on code generation.
>
> -- Brooks

jack_trauma.c:21:9: warning: 'IP_DONTFRAG' macro redefined
#define IP_DONTFRAG 1
        ^
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:464:
9: note: previous definition is here
#define IP_DONTFRAG             67   /* don't fragment packet */
        ^
jack_trauma.c:192:60: error: expected expression
    socketfd == socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDPLITE);
                                                           ^
jack_trauma.c:353:1: warning: type specifier missing, defaults to 'int'
      [-Wimplicit-int]
parse_options(int argc, char** argv){

That is with what I am working.  I'm not sure as how to work around it; so,
I want to try different flags.