Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:46:27 -0600
From:      "David A. Gobeille" <dgobe@mcs.net>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DSL firewall and DNS

Gene Harris wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> First, to address the issue of DSL, you need to check with
> your service provider as to whether they will allow the use
> of your own DNS via DSL.  Some will, some have provisions in
> their contract with you that you will be treated like a dial
> up account.

This will be for a "business class" DSL account and you are
allowed to run whatever servers/services you like.
(Not a $50/mo. account)

> To answer the question of DNS servers, you might be able to
> fake your way through, you might not.  Some registrars ask
> you up front if you have two servers, etc.  You also need to
> check with your service provider.  Some service providers
> make you go thru them for registration, etc.  They won't
> necessarily honor any commitment for routing addresses to
> your assigned ips, and some have been known to change your
> ip addresses if you do not work through them.

The service provider in this case will let you run your own
DNS and they have been very cooperative thus far.

[snip]

> I probably didn't answer any of your questions, but I hope
> my own experiences will help you ask all the right questions
> of your providers before you spend any money on
> registrations.

Thank you, always interested to hear other people's experiences.