Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:14:58 +0100
From:      "Eirik Apeland" <eapeland@c2i.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk" <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Getting ISDN working under FreeBSD 4.1.1 (LONG POST) - EVEN LONGER

On 13 Nov 2000 09:14:51 +0000, Wayne Pascoe wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to get isdn working on my new FreeBSD box. I have linux and
>solaris experience (3 years) and am just trying to apply that to
>FreeBSD.
>
>My aim here with the isdn configuration is to get my isdn gateway at
>home to connect to my ISP (BT Internet). The machine is a dual
>celeron. It is currently running FreeBSD 4.1.1.

[cut]

Hi.

I also had a hard time making my FreeBSD act as a gateway.
But after some reading and studying, this is how my setup is:

Kernel
-----------
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT

pseudo-device   sppp
options         TEL_S0_16_3
device          isic0   at isa? port 0xd80 irq5 flags 3
pseudo-device   "i4bq921"
pseudo-device   "i4bq931"
pseudo-device   "i4b"
pseudo-device   "i4btrc"        1
pseudo-device   "i4bctl"
pseudo-device   "i4brbch"       1
pseudo-device   "i4bipr"        1
pseudo-device   "i4bisppp"

# I'm using the 0.90 drivers. I tested the 0.95 drivers, but reverted to those
# coming with FreeBSD 4.x

/etc/rc.config
-----------------------
sppp_interfaces="isp0"
spppconfig_isp0="myauthproto=pap myauthname=my-id myauthsecret='secret' hisauthname=none hisauthproto=none callin"
network_interfaces="xl0 isp0 lo0"

ifconfig_isp0="0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 link1" # Here you can use debug to get some more info about what's happening

gateway_enable="YES"

isdn_enable="YES"
isdn_fsdev="NO"
isdn_trace="NO"  # You might want to have YES here in the begining, just to see what happens?

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="isp0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
firewall_quiet="NO"

defaultrouter="0.0.0.1"

/etc/natd.conf
------------------------
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes
dynamic yes

/etc/isdn/isdnd.rc
-----------------------------
entry
name                    = TELE2
usrdevicename           = isp
usrdeviceunit           = 0
isdncontroller          = 0
isdnchannel             = 1
local-phone-incoming    = none
remote-phone-incoming   = *
local-phone-dialout     = YOUR PHONE NUMBER
remote-phone-dialout    = YOUR ISP's PHONENUMBER
remdial-handling        = first
dialin-reaction         = ignore
dialout-type            = normal
b1protocol              = hdlc
idletime-incoming       = 0
idletime-outgoing       = 240
ratetype                = 0
unitlength              = 90
unitlengthsrc           = conf
dialretries             = 1
dialrandincr            = on
recoverytime            = 25
usedown                 = off
downtries               = 2
downtime                = 30
direction               = out

# I still get an error saying
# i4b-L4-i4b_l4_setup_timeout: 974138984: ERROR: idletime[240]+earlyhup[5] > unitlength[90]!
# so the idle-time stuff does not work. I have to manualy do an ifconfig isp0 down
# to hang up the line.
# If you find out how this works, please let me know :)

To can also set up your ISP's nameserver in the /etc/resolv.conf

And also... Remember to set the Default Gateway to point to your FreeBSD box.

I think this is it :)

Hope this helped you out.