Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:34:31 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Searching and editting multi-GB binary files?

Anyone know of a way to edit multi-gigabyte binary files?  I have some
hard disk images, one's 1.2GB, the other 20GB.  I need to search them
for volume signatures, then snip bytes from both ends of the file to get
a volume image prepared for vnode access.  I need to be able to actually
see certain small parts of the files to get the truncation right, but am
not sure how to go about this.

How does grep handle large files?  Does it read the entire file into
memory, or just n*{block|page}size byte at a time, or what?

Are there any "read as you go" editors that can handle files that size?
Do I even need an editor for this task?  Can grep give me all the
information I need to use dd/truncate to do this?