Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2001 19:35:30 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        Marcel Prisi <marcel-lists@virtua.ch>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose ?

Hi Brandon,

Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
 > Indeed that would be unfair.  Here is one particular model that I have
 > found to suck.  =)
 >
 > Ethernet controller: LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32).

According to
   http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2000-June/002217.html
the "LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32)" uses the LiteOn PNIC chipset
and thus is different from the Linksys LNE100TX revision 4.1
card which uses ADMtek chips.

Similarly the FreeBSD if_dc.c lists the following chipsets:
  * Macronix 98713/98715/98725/98727/98732 PMAC (www.macronix.com)
  * Macronix/Lite-On 82c115 PNIC II (www.macronix.com)
  * Lite-On 82c168/82c169 PNIC (www.litecom.com)
  * ASIX Electronics AX88140A (www.asix.com.tw)
  * ASIX Electronics AX88141 (www.asix.com.tw)
  * ADMtek AL981 (www.admtek.com.tw)
  * ADMtek AN985 (www.admtek.com.tw)
  * Davicom DM9100, DM9102, DM9102A (www.davicom8.com)
  * Accton EN1217 (www.accton.com)

The LNE100TX revision 4.1 cards use an ADMtek chipset whereas yours
is reported as LiteOn which seems to indicate the crappy PNICs.

 > I have both Kingston and Linksys branded examples of this crappy
 > non-standard tulip clone here.  They all report pretty much the above
 > line in /proc/pci under linux.

This leads me to believe that we might still be talking about
different cards. Are you perhaps right and is /proc/pci wrong
in reporting the ADMtek as a LiteOn?

Could you check the exact revision # on your cards?

-J
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen -- jeroen@vangelderen.org

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. -- Gandhi