Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:44:13 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        alexbestms@math.uni-muenster.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: howto use https in favour of http

Hi,

> i've added the following line to my /etc/hosts:
>
> permail.uni-muenster.de:25      permail.uni-muenster.de:443
>
> so what i want is for freebsd to never use http, but https for that address.
> unfortunately hosts doesn't seem to support this syntax.

De3finitely not. man hosts to see the syntax and meaning of the
/etc/hosts file.

> any advice on how to do this?

I am not sure what you want to do. You want to install a web server
that only serves https? then you configure your web server to only
serve https, in Apache configuration you would only have a
<VirtualHost: permail.uni-muenster.de:443>
and none with port 80.

Best regards,

Olivier