Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:28:57 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Supporting HW_WDOG?

Doug,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:03:13AM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> We have implemented a SW & HW watchdog here.  The HW support is based on
> the reboot timers in the Intel ICH and SIS 630 chips.  Our scheme is to
[..]
> same time).  We have this working on generic PC motherboards with no
> custom hardware.
>
> Note at a prior company we needed the tickler since the HW watchdog could
> not be deactivated until it went off :-(  Smarter watchdogs can be turned
> off and then ticklers are not needed.
>
> If anyone it interested with playing with the code and getting it into
> shape to put into -current I can send it to you.  It needs to be cleaned
> up.  The kernel sysctl function needs to be added properly to the
> sysctl file etc.  I can help with testing, reviews and questions.  I just
> don't have time for polishing right now.

I would definitely like to see this.

I just looked at the Elan SC520 datasheets, and it seems that there is
a watchdog timer in the core, which can generate NMIs...Excellent. It is
documented in Section 19 of the Elan(tm) SC520 Microcontroller User's Manual.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, the Soekris boards don't appear to have any
support for environmentals (voltage, temperature etc) but they do have a nice
serial console driven BIOS. I suppose thermistors etc could be fitted to a
small sampling PIC using the GPIO bus.

[Phones a partner-in-crime]
Ah. A friend of mine actually wrote a driver for the SC520 watchdog for
NetBSD. I've offered to port it. We shall see what happens!

BMS