Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2013 00:29:28 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schr=F8der?= <sch@chaos.dk>
To:        Edho Arief <edho@myconan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VNC in virtualbox-ose-4.2.6

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Edho Arief <edho@myconan.net> wrote:

> This also costed me few hours googling and few recompiles to find this:
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3D31&t=3D50085
>
> and this http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-September/=
078427.html

Thanks for these excelent pointers. Just what I needed.

A small recap for future googlers

VNC implementation is changed from 4.1 to 4.2. No more --vnc option in 4.2.

to enable VNC in 4.2, stil check the VNC option in "make config"
before building the port, and then do (for a vm called test1):

VBoxManage setproperty vrdeextpack VNC

VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeproperty VNCPassword=3Dsomepass
VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeauthlibrary null
VBoxManage modifyvm test1 --vrdeport 5901
VBoxHeadless --startvm test1

if moving from a 4.1 installation and using the rc.conf way of
starting vms, remove the "--vnc --vncport 5901 --vncpass=3Dsomepass"
from vboxheadless_test1_flags

getting rid of the --vncpass option was nice. Everyone with access to
ps could see the password. Now the cleartext password is stored in the
test1.vbox control file (with -rw------- rights)

some google bait: FreeBSD Virtualbox 4.2 VNC howto enable vnc console headl=
ess

--=20
S=F8ren Schr=F8der.
Obey Gravity - It's the law !