Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:20:15 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@we.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and PowerPC (The IBM Motherboard Thing)

Hey all!

I was wondering what stance FreeBSD will have when IBM publishes it's open
motherboard specification for PowerPC based motherboards.  Will the FreeBSD
project embrace the PowerPC platform considering it will be open easily
attainable?

At work we have an AS/400 (nice database machine, although way overpriced)
which uses the IBM PowerPC 64 bit chip.  That machine cranks out alot of
work using only one CPU -- it does everything from warehouse inventory
control to supporting more than 50 users without breaking a sweat.  I can
only imagine the possibilies with FreeBSD ported to the PowerPC platform.

Anyways, I was just curious to what plans are ahead for FreeBSD and the
PowerPC.

Joey