Date:      26 Sep 2001 16:46:45 +0100
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Pagaime?=" <jpsp@fccn.pt>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: SSH2 dies when idle

Hello all,

I remember someone set a call-back for me
to reply to his email, if I got to solve this problem,
but I deleted his email, so here it is anyhow.

The problem was a statefull firewall that closed
idle connections older than one hour.

The solution was to make the server start the
TCP keep-alive algorithm earlier (75 seconds for instance
instead of 2 hours), through a sysctl command, like this:

    $ sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepinit=75000

The bad network channel was just a coincidence
(after the firewall, all network channels aren't so
great...)

--jp