Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:20:20 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple mounts of single device

Hi,

  I've been searching for info regarding mounting the same device
to multiple locations in the filesystem, i.e...

# mount /dev/ad0s1e /usr
# mount -r /dev/ad0s1e /var/jail/AAAA/usr
# mount -r /dev/ad0s1e /var/jail/BBBB/usr

 [Warning: I /know/ I know next-to-nothing about filesystems... but]

  I recall seeing some traffic (IIRC, from early 2001) about this
ability being in -current, but looking at
HEAD:/usr/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c, I still see around line 571
that EBUSY is still being returned if the device is already mounted.

  Not being familiar with the fbsd code... Am I even in the correct
ballpark?  Or is this functionality already present in -current?
If it is already in -current, where would I start digging around
if I felt like (breaking a perfectly good 4.5 install and) trying
to integrate the -current code into 4.5?

  I'd especially appreciate any two minute (or less) response to
any of the following questions -- I'm perfectly comfortable being
told "go away and read," if I have some idea of what to read.

  0) Is this multiple mount point functionality even necessary,
     or is there a better/existing mechanism to achieve the
     same goal (aside from local nfs mount).

  1) What is the danger of not failing with EBUSY if the device
     is already mounted?

  2) Would supporting multiple mounts require modifying any code
     outside the filesystem (/usr/sys/src/ufs/ffs)?  If so, how
     much and where?

thanks.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman