Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:42:04 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   new-bus/newconfig (was: Any success)

Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> writes:
>The reason device attachment points are not specified in the config file
>is that I don't think the user should need to care how the hardware in
>their machine works in order to get FreeBSD working.

There's that "should" again.

I think people generally agree that it would be nice if users did not need
to know anything about their hardware to get FreeBSD working.  I think people
also generally agree that there are many common situations where users will
not, in fact, be able to get FreeBSD working if they do not know how their
hardware works, or if they are not able to communicate that knowledge to the
device configuration code.

I don't think people generally understand, though, exactly how new-bus
addresses the manual configuration problem, nor do people generally understand
exactly how newconfig handles the automatic configuration problem.

Could we get specific details on these specific points from the respective
designers?

	-Michael Robinson