Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2016 17:01:06 +0000
From:      "Brian McGovern (bmcgover)" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   GNOME 3 upper RAM limit?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I wanted to float it before I sp=
ent some time to go off and try to research it. I'm seeing a problem with G=
nome 3 not working above a certain memory configuration, but there is still=
 some overlap I can't explain. I figured I'd float it in case it was a know=
n issue.

Gnome 3.14.2 works on a FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p10 machine with 32GB of memor=
y (32768 real, 31641 avail).

Gnome 3.16.2 works on a Lenovo laptop with 8GB of RAM.

Gnome 3.16.2 fails on a Lenovo laptop with 32GB of RAM (same laptop, 32768 =
real, 31386 avail)

Gnome 3.18.0 fails on a server with 256GB of RAM.

X in all cases is generally well behaved; I can run xdm, log in, life is wo=
nderful. A few applications crash, but no more or less so than under Gnome =
on the working machines.

The common symptom of failure is that upon providing your username and pass=
word, there is a long delay, followed by the white "Oh no! Something has go=
ne wrong." screen with the option of logging back out, which works.

The only message I get on the console beyond the normal startup junk is is =
"gdm[XXXX]: Failed to remove greeter program access to display. Trying to p=
roceed."

On the Lenovo, I can switch between the memory configs, and it "works", or =
"not".

Again, just curious if its known in circles other than mine before I chase =
it at all. I have the fallback of going to another window manager/desktop, =
so its not critical, so I'm not sure how many hours I'll burn on it, but I'=
d like to be able to keep trucking with my existing desktop.=