Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 04:14:01 -0500
From:      Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID spanning over two 2400A's supported?

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:57:28AM +0300, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> We're considering Adaptec 2400A's for new server. Will the asr(4)
> driver support more than one controller and RAID spanning over two
> controllers? Our final goal is 8 disk RAID-5 array, not expecting
> great I/O but large storage area.
> I guess it's possible to concat or stripe the two RAID-5 arrays with
> vinum in case spanning is not supported? Every bit of advice will be
> welcome!

	I just recently assembled a system as our workgroup
server using the Adaptec 2400A and four Western Digital "Special
Edition" 120GB 7200RPM ATA hard drives with 8MB cache each.  I
must say it's fantastic!  :)

	I'm not sure whether you can span over two adapters.  My
inclination is that no, this will not work.  But you will
probably want to contact Adaptec since this is really an OS
independent question.  In fact, unless you go to
http://linux.adaptec.com/ and post on the "Open Source Message
Board" there (you have to create a username and password, but
it's relatively painless and I have yet to receive any spam from
them), I wouldn't mention FreeBSD at all if you e-mail their
normal support channels.

	Vinum seems like a silly solution to this.  It sort of
defeats the purpose of having hardware RAID cards at all (and
expensive ones at that).  Amazingly enough, those 100MHz Intel
DAC960's really do take a large chunk out of the processing time
required to do all those XOR calculations.  It seems like you'd
be better off buying a lot of spare non-RAID ATA controllers if
you wanted to use vinum.

	Finally, I will give you my own recent wisdom when
dealing with these beasts.  I made the mistake of buying a full
tower case as well as four Promise SuperSwap (hot swap) drive
bays.  Now don't get me wrong, I loved the Promise SuperSwap
bays.  They worked like a charm.  The ones I could actually hook
up to the Adaptec card with the standard 18" cables that is!  :(

	The ATA standard is very serious about nothing longer
than 18" cables.  I had the two bottommost SuperSwap bays on 18"
cables and never had a problem.  But I had the two topmost on 24"
"Cables to Go" brand ATA cables, and I kept losing the drives
within a 24 hour period of having built the array.  Hell, one of
them actually failed out the first time while I was still in the
process of building the array!

	Unfortunately, because of the case I chose, I had to send
the SuperSwap bays back.  If I'd gotten one of the squat, wide
massive data storage style cases with 5.25" bays all the way to
the bottom, I'm sure things would have worked out okay.  Also
keep in mind that the Adaptec card is a full length card.  You
don't want it bumping into things near the front of a standard
mid-tower of full-tower case, so plan accordingly.

	I ended up with my four ATA drives in the six 3.5"
internal bays and haven't had a problem since.  I've still got
215GB free as of right this second!  :)  It's really pretty
overwhelming having so much drive space for such a reasonable
cost.  The total system cost was somewhere around $2200 or $2300
after all the returns of stuff (like the SuperSwap bays).  If
anypone wants the full specifications, let me know.

	Anyway, if you need me to try anything out for you or run
some disk performance tests, I'd be happy to do so.  I'm running
4.5-STABLE as of a week or two ago and the machine has been
chugging along nicely, even under the heavy NFS load.  :)  Let me
know if you have something for me.  I'd be more than happy to
help out.  I was pretty apprehensive initially not having played
with any of this ATA RAID stuff before.  But the 4.5-RELEASE CD
immediately recognized the card and the installation went without
a hitch.  I was very impressed.  :)  The Adapctec FreeBSD
utilities worked out of the box as well on the provided CD.  As
best as I could tell, the utilities on the CD are actually newer
than what is available on their site.

	Anyway, let me know...

--=20
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                    http://arrakis.tamu.edu/nipsy/
College Station, TX 77843-3142           AIM: texasnipsy ICQ: 66971617
(979)575-3193                                        Yahoo: texasnipsy

---begin random quote of the moment---
Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?
----end random quote of the moment----

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v