Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 13:42:17 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Freeware reward?????

Jordan writes.....

>dennis wrote:
>> We'll have it as part of our product very shortly, but....for the reasons
>> that you just stated, no "right to steal" licenses available.
>
>That's OK.  There are a number of other sync serial cards for which support is
>forthcoming (I've already directed Heikki at John Hay and the ARNET driver
in progress)
>and for which all driver sources should be available.

"Freeware" drivers are not competition. They just eliminate the pikers.
Given that most
commercial companies have trouble doing commercially acceptable products in
this area
, whats the chance that some guy with way too much free time can do better?

> Given that we're supposed to be a
>full-source, free OS (and always interested in seeing sharing work with
other OSs) I
>think that this is a good direction and I applaud Heikki for being willing
enough to pony
>up a non-trivial amount of money.  No, $1000 is not enough to even remotely
tempt a
>company into doing support, but it may be just enough to push someone who was
>contemplating it anyway into writing a driver..
>--

Is this for the "best" resulting product, or the first? Or don't you care?

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25