Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:09:11 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup-ing stable

Rodney Grimes writes:

>I think there is enough confusion out there that the strings should be
>changed to this:
>TYPE="FreeBSD"
>REVISION="2.1.5"
>BRANCH="STABLE"

Well, that is your opinion. My opinion is slightly different.
Here is my interpretation of the way things should be...

"Stable", and for that matter "current", do not really designate
development branches. I feel that they are simply aliases that reflect the
state of development.  Using both "2.1.5" and "STABLE" is redundant.

I think that "2.1" is the proper name of the branch.
We are awaiting the CD for revision "RELEASE-5"
Those who have gotten today's update are at revision "CTM-154"

However, to help avoid confusion among the uninitiated, perhaps we should
call today's version "FreeBSD 2.1.5-154","FreeBSD 2.1.5p154", or something
similar.