Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:16:34 -0400
From:      Raymond Law <flaw@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rlaw@vt.edu
Subject:   Windows 2000 and FreeBSD co-exist?

Can I install Windows 2000 first and then FreeBSD?  Will it work?

I have two hard drives and put Windows 2000 in the first drive and FreeBSD in
the second drive.  Windows 2000 is installed using NTFS.

After installing FreeBSD, the boot manager says:

F1 ??
F5 Drive 1

Pressing F5 goes to:

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 0

FreeBSD was installed successfully and I can log in to FreeBSD without any
problems.  BTW, is there any documentation on how to use the new X configure
tool in sysinstall?

However, I encountered an error when logging into Windows 2000.  I typed in my
user name and password and then saw a popup dialog saying there is an error in
virtual memory table or something (don't remember the exact message).  And
then it goes back to the logging screen.  I can't get to the desktop at all.
What is wrong here?  Can I recover Windows 2000 on the first drive or do I
have to re-install it?

Thanks in advance.

Ray,