Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:01:18 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Redundant network connections & load balancing

In a Sysadmin (Jan 2002) article, there is explained how to use Linux as a
"router" using redundant network connections (DSL + dialup), as well as
load balancing between the two.  I recall this required some special kernel
configuration directives:

CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH=y

and the "iproute" toolset, which must be installed separately; and a few
other changes.

I wonder if the same (if not more advanced) could be accomplished with FreeBSD.

Take for example, Company A who wants to provision a few sDSL
lines.  Creating a FreeBSD gateway/router and load balancing the traffic
amoungst that (with some careful ipf or ipfirewall rulesets) could be very
effective, and a lot cheaper than provisioning a single pipe in some cases.

I wonder if anyone has accomplished this with FreeBSD-4.x or 5.x; and if
they could share that info.

Thanks,
Forrest