Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:08:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.7 rsh serious problem

serge@oneway.net was asking a remote tar/tape backup question that
was not working, I found that 2.2.7 has a problem with rsh/rshd.
to verify:

	rsh 2.2.7HOST /etc/rmt
	rsh 2.2.7HOST /bin/cat
	rsh 2.2.7HOST /bin/sh
	rsh 2.2.7HOST dd ...

basically any remote shell that can accept more input.

looking at 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 rshd.c, I found the problem on line 307
in the function doit():

		int s = rresvport(&lport);

should read:

		s = rresvport(&lport);

because we later use the socket and the extra "int" makes the above
side affect only local to the for loop.

I will send a bug report, but I am sending this to hackers because it
will be a big potential problem that I thought everyone would want to
be aware of the problem.

--mark.