Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 09:13:49 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phpMyAdmin problem - no Edit/Delete on Browse

--------------enig88214607345DD2A3A0591EFF

Ian Smith wrote:
> (originally posted to -database some days ago .. no nibbles)
>=20
> running 5.4-RELEASE and installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.3 with pkg_add -r
> (after finding installing from ports wanted to also fetch php4 sources
> and heaps of other stuff I already had installed from packages on the
> 2-CD set).  I'd managed to find and install 5.4-R mysql packages also:
>=20
>  smithi on paqi% pkg_info | grep -i "php\|mysql"
>  libmcrypt-2.5.7_1   Multi-cipher cryptographic library (used in PHP)
>  mysql-client-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (client)
>  mysql-server-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (server)
>  php4-4.3.10_2       PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
>  php4-bz2-4.3.10_2   The bz2 shared extension for php
>  php4-gd-4.3.10_2    The gd shared extension for php
>  php4-mbstring-4.3.10_2 The mbstring shared extension for php
>  php4-mcrypt-4.3.10_2 The mcrypt shared extension for php
>  php4-mysql-4.3.10_2 The mysql shared extension for php
>  php4-openssl-4.3.10_2 The openssl shared extension for php
>  php4-pcre-4.3.10_2  The pcre shared extension for php
>  php4-zlib-4.3.10_2  The zlib shared extension for php
>  phpMyAdmin-2.6.1.3  A set of PHP-scripts to manage MySQL over the web
>=20
> phpmyadmin basically works fine.  I'd imported my databases from dumps,=

> and all looked good after a bit of configuration.  However when startin=
> to do some real work on a couple of databases, I noticed that while
> browsing any database, the Edit and Delete options do not appear with
> each row, ie I can not update existing records (even as -u root)
>=20
> I'd suspected permissions, but I can insert new records, add/drop/empty=

> tables and databases, bookmark queries and all.  The permissions and
> ownership of and in /var/db/mysql are the same as my old 4.5-R system.
>=20
> $cfg['ModifyDeleteAtLeft'] =3D TRUE; I've also tried adding ...AtRight =
as
> well, but neither show up.  If relevant, I'm using apache-1.3.33_1 and =

> mozilla-1.7.7,2 .. all of this is just running on the local machine, so=

> I'm not at the moment concerned with just security-issue updates.
>=20
> I haven't been able to find anything in later version change notes or
> PRs indicating anything like this problem, and updating to the current
> port would require updating php, mysql, expat and even xorg versions,
> which is just not doable over a 28.8k modem connection I'm afraid, so
> the 'usual' answer of cvsuping and updating everything is not helpful;
> in any case I suspect this is more likely a maybe subtle config issue?

What is the UID *within* MySQL you are using to connect with?  Does
running:

    SHOW GRANTS FOR `user`@`hostname` ;

make things any clearer?

phpMyAdmin is clever enough to modify its user interface according to wha=
the user has permission to do to the database.  The user name use within =
the
database depends on how you've configured phpMyAdmin -- I generally like =
use 'cookie' mode authentication where the username and password are pass=
ed
straight through to MySQL from the login dialog, but the 'config' mode gi=
ven
in the example config files requires you to put the username and password=

directly in the phpMyAdmin configuration file.=20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3