Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:18:22 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RUSH: -current install testers wanted!

* De: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> [ Data: 2002-10-22 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: 5.0-RUSH: -current install testers wanted! ]
> Juli Mallett wrote:
> > > Find another box where it has already been successfully installed,
> > > and an ISO image has been built from sources.
> >
> > I don't have a CD burner.  I have no ability to burn a CD at all.
>
> You don't burn a CD from the other box, you install from it.
>
> Though FreeBSD doesn't technically support it, because they do
> not make the sysinstall image easily available, you can upgrade
> via a CDROM FS image via NFS, without even needing a local CDROM
> installed on the machine being upgraded.
>
> To do this, copy over /stand/sysinstall to /tmp/sysinstall (it is
> crunched, therefore av[0] needs to be "sysinstall"), mount the
> image via NFS, run the sysinstall in /tmp, and select "local
> file system" for the media from which you will be upgrading.
>
> You must manullay run disklabel to change the boot code, after
> the upgrade, and prior to the reboot (the upgrade code in sysinstall
> makes assumptions about the boot media when it comes to the boot
> code installation, and those assumptions are often invalis, as in
> this case).
>
> If you are using SSH, you will potentially need to add the ssh
> line to the pam.conf file, or you will need physical console access
> to get back into the machine after you reboot with the new OS.

If I wanted to do this, I could, but it would not give me a clean
5.0 install, and it is also not that simple at this time, as (afaict)
kern.disks is required by sysinstall, which 4.x doesn't support...
And even then, I'd have to blow away everything except /tmp first,
which is a hell of a lot of fun, especially when it (often) doesn't
work...
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org