Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:04:53 +0530 (IST)
From:      "Ashutosh S. Rajekar" <asr@softhome.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max kernel memory

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Their 3200 only has 1G of RAM; you could _barely_ fit the
> TCP state for 1,000,000 connections into just 1G of RAM,
> and have a tiny amount left over for buffers, drivers,
> the rest of your kernel, etc..  I can't believe that their
> 3100 (only 512M of RAM) could do it, just based on what I
> know from the structure sizes needed for the state.  You
> can fool some of the people, but you can't fool Stevens...

Yes. One of their engineers did mention that memory management was
definitely a problem for them ... And their bragging number is also a bit
far-fetched. I bet with the 3xxx type of boxes they can't support more
than 10000 active connections, each sending/receiving 40k of dynamically
generated HTML by websites like google/altavista.

And Stevens is the authority. Even if he's no longer around.

-ASR
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._     (\     Indra Networks Pvt. Ltd
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)    Pune, INDIA.
    (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'     mailto: asr@softhome.net
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'             http://www.rajekar.org
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'               http://www.indranetworks.com