Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 23:21:41 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodme@bezeqint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching to FreeBSD from Windows

Peter Mutsaers wrote:
> For generations people (with brains) started on UNIX right away
> without problems. Why would that be impossible or inadvisable today?!?

It's not about brains but rather the large amount of docs you must read
just to get started with the system. And don't forget he'll be **
administering ** his UNIX machine. At the past (and in many companies
today) UNIX workstations were administered by professionals.

Most Linux distributions are designed for the desktop and are quite a
bit easier for first time users.

One BIG point for FreeBSD (and the reason I am switching) is the good
(and mostly up-to-date) online documentation describing the SYSTEM.
Linux man pages describe commands, are sometimes outdated and usually
don't describe the way the system (e.g., pppd) has been integrated into
the distribution. You have to read all those messy howto's.

-- Nimrod.