Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 23:08:14 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org
Cc:        k4ef0098@kiss.uni-lj.si, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD into a logical partition

> James Raynard wrote in message ID
> <199607081232.MAA01150@jraynard.demon.co.uk>:
> > No, FreeBSD requires its own ``primary partition'' (to use the DOS
> > terminology). I don't know of any work being done that would allow
> > what you want, but you have the source... :-)
>
> Even if it was possible, you have the interesting problem that I don't
> think our boot code will allow you to boot from a non-primary
> partition

Yep, the boot code was what I had in mind and I should have said that
more clearly.

Out of interest, I know it's possible to access DOS ``logical partitions''
(using slices 5-32); am I right in thinking it's possible to similarly
access a FreeBSD ``logical partition'' from a regular FreeBSD slice?

> (infact I'm fairly certain it won't), and the boot sector is
> pretty full with the current code as it is. This sort of effort will
> have to wait for the fabled 3 stage boot process I think.

Oh, I'd forgotten about the 3 stage boot process. In that case,
pretend you don't have the source. :-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk