Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:01:21 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr.\ Preprocessor])
Cc:        Martin Kraemer <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, konecny@web.markiza.sk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

>I see an identical problem with and without this diff applied on an
>ASUS motherboard with onboard SCSI.  No onboard Ethernet.

Your problem is actually quite different.  In your case, the timeout
occurs in a data-out phase and the chips status tells us:

1) The target still has us in data phase.

2) SCSI dma is still enabled.

3) Our data fifo is full of data to send on the SCSI bus,
   but its not going anywhere.

So, the aic7890 believes that the target has stopped requesting
more data, but we still haven't changed phase.  This is the classic
symptom of a flaky bus where the signals for clocking data are
degraded.  The target probably didn't see one or more of the controller's
ACKs, so we are stuck.  Double check your termination, cabling, power
supply, etc, etc.

--
Justin