Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:19:14 +0200 (EET)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@quasar.uvt.ro>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, Valentin_Erich_MIHUT <root@inext.ro>
Subject:   Re: [root@inext.ro: Mirroring.]

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Valentin_Erich_MIHUT <root@inext.ro> -----
>
> From: root@inext.ro (Valentin_Erich_MIHUT)
> To: <wosch@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Mirroring.
> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:30:28 +0200

 Microsoft :-(

> Hi!
>
> I'm planning to move intensively towards Using FreeBSD some of our ISP
> applications in the near future.
> I appreciate the most the work that the FreeBSD Project is doing and in
> return (for the great possibilities it gives to the IT society) I would like
> to help the project the most I can.

Great :-)!
I'm very pleased to hear about FreeBSD users in the Western part of
Romania. I thought you are using Windows NT.

> I would like to establish a mirror of www.freebsd.org to something like
> www.ro.freebsd.org or www1.ro.freebsd.org. I suggest this because the actual
> www.ro.freebsd.org is hardly accessible (as far as I tried) and the ftp
> mirror (ftp.ro.freebsd.org) although it is accessible (slow, because the
> connection it stands on is used by a couple thousand students all the time)
> won't even respond to a ping or traceroute.

I don't know where you get this information but it is wrong! The
ftp.ro.freebsd.org is used only by a few users (of course many anonymous
logins!). As you can easily verify the ftp.ro.freebsd.org is different
from students server (utft10.uvt.ro).
Starting next week the archive will be moved on our new server (PII 450
MHz, 256 MB RAM, SCSI UW HDDs).

The connection between inext.ro and RoEdu.net (Romanian Education
Network we stand on) is very slow and therefore you get slow access time
(make a traceroute), altough we both are TAIDE CUSTOMERS!

Currently we are the biggest FreeBSD based site in Romania (and as you can
see we are in the Educational/Academic area) and we asked first for
delegation for ro.freebsd.org.

> I would like to help this situation by setting up a primarily a www and
> within one month a ftp mirror for Romania.
> We are a commercial company and we would like to ask u if it is possible for
> these mirrors to get the first mirror addresses (www. and ftp. instead of
> www1. and ftp1.). This would give us some advertisement benefices as well in
> return of the loss in bandwidth. Currently we operate one of the fastest
> connections in the western part in Romania and we have a 40% avg. usage on
> the inband and 12% avg. usage on the outband (which is the one that
> interests downloaders).

If the FreeBSD Project members make the decision to give you
the first mirror addresses (www. and ftp.) I will change the names of my
ones.

> I would like to ask you (if agreed) to help us setting up this mirror (first
> the www and than the ftp) so we can become operational as smoothly as
> possible We would like to ask u to provide us with a CD image of the base
> FTP image, which than can be updated on a daily basis with mirror. That will
> help us start with the whole distribution set the FTP mirror instead of
> starting it first with the stable and then with the current part.
>
> Awaiting suggestions.

First of all (for www mirror) you have to read
   http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ22.html#22

After you have successfully mirrored the www site you can send me one
message to put your server in ro.freebsd.org domain name server and one
message to www.freebsd.org to put you server in the list.

Regards,

Gheorghe ARDELEAN

West Univ. Of Timisoara
Dept. of Theoretical and Computational Physics
V. Parvan No.4, Ro-1900, Timisoara, ROMANIA
Tel: +40-(0)56-194068 Ext. 203, 201, 108 | Fax: +40-(0)56-190333
Email: ardelean@quasar.uvt.ro