Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 19:34:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   setuid and cmdtool?

My question is about making the xview based cmdtool run safely suid
root so that utmp is updated. As it is, cmdtool does not have the
authority to write to utmp. cmdtool is more of a wrapper for xview --
all the terminal functions come from the xview libraries.

To make it work, it looks like I would have to run suid root, but it
would take changes to both cmdtool and the xview library to restrict
access to the real user id. Since it hasn't been done, I'm probably
overlooking something obvious so I'm looking for some one to show me
the problems.

If I seteuid root just before the utmp update and setreuid just after
the update in xview, any risk seems minimal since any calling
function without root access couldn't execute seteuid to root if the
calling program were not suid root. If I run cmdtool suid root, I gain
the ability to switch to root in xview for the utmp update, but would
have to set the effective uid to the real id as the first instruction
in cmdtool. It looks like this would get utmp updated without
unreasonable exposure. Is this reasonable? What holes would I open up?

On the other hand, is there any practical value to logging pseudo
terminals to utmp?

Thanks

-- Jay