Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 10:11:08 -0500
From:      gstevens@forsythemca.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble with X Windows

I'm having a little trouble getting X running properly.

I have an older IBM Aptiva C6E, the kind that uses main memory for video RAM.  I
don't know if that's a problem or not.  SuperProbe sees the video card OK, and I
have the specs for the   IBM G50 monitor dialed in.

When I run startx I get a really shaky display in the middle of the monitor
(looks like horizontal freqs are messed up, although I have the right ones in
XF86Config).  Interestingly enough, if I change the X link to point to the VGA16
server instead of SVGA and do nothing else, I get a decent display.

In either case, I get three Xterm windows with frames, although the FreeBSD book
says I should get one frameless window in the upper left hand corner.  I don't
know if that's a good thing or not.

Seems like I ought to be able to run the SVGA server - SuperProbe suggests it
.... any particular things I can do or look for?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Stevens