Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:15:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        rchan@certicom.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. BSDI?

R. Chan writes:

> We are running freebsd from the walnut creek cd. We would like to move
> to an O/S with more support such as BSDI or something else such as
> SCO.

By "something else", do you mean "no more support"? :-)

> In any case, does anyone know what the differences are between
> freebsd and BSDI's BSD/OS?

Well, there are a few.  On the whole, I think that BSD/OS is still
more stable than FreeBSD, though the gap is narrowing rapidly.  I used
to use only BSD/OS (have done for over 4 years), but if they hike the
prices yet again I'll seriously consider dropping them.

> Can we run all the freebsd packages that came with the walnut creek
> cd on a BSDI system?

Not without recompilation.  There are minor but significant
differences between the object formats.  You may also find that
recompilation is not completely trivial.  On the other hand, FreeBSD
can execute BSD/OS executables.

Greg