Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 1997 14:12:00 -0500
From:      Mark DeWar <mdewar@fiber-net.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing programs under freebsd

Hello,
I am VERY new to freebsd. I mean so new you can still smell the vinyl.
I have a freebsd box and want to learn some stuff. bought the unix for
dummies book but not much help so far.
Anyway I want to try to setup a program called MRTG.
i have downloaded the files needed to my nt machine. and will ftp them over.
My first question is
what directory should they go in or does it matter ?
I downloade one of the programs need to run this Mrtg and did what the
instructions said but i get the error
message "usr/include/malloc.h:2:warning #warning :this file includes
(malloc.h) which is obsoleted,us (stdlib.h) instead.
What ?!?!!!. For a newbie this is getting frustrating.
also tar files. are they compressed or uncompressed ?
A pointer to a really good beginner book or site would be greatly
appreciative.

Thanks
Mark
Consider the willing, Led by the Unknowing to do the Impossible for the
ungrateful.
And after having done so much with so little, For so long ...........and
are now Expected to do Everything, With nothing, Immediately and with
out any APPRECIATION
                              The Underdog.................