Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:41:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SysctlFS

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> Once the "dynamic sysctls" hit the tree, I have been running a sysctl
> exportation of newbus information for a few weeks (months, possibly).
>
> There's also a "sysinfo" console program as a (badly written, since
> sysctl is a pain to manipulate) reference on how to extract information

:-) I know what you mean... If you need some inspiration, you  might want
to look at my SPY module that uses sysctls to read or define lists of
syscalls to monitor - not that it's pretty either, but perhaps there is
something in it that you could reuse.

> atpic0 <AT interrupt controller> at port 0x20-0x21,0xa0-0xa1 irq 2
> sysresource4 <System Resource> at port 0x4d0-0x4d1,0x8000-0x803f,0x7000-0x700f
>
> It just grabs the information from the sysctl export:
>
> hw.devices.fdc0.desc: NEC 72065B or clone
> hw.devices.fdc0.children: fd0,fd1
> hw.devices.fdc0.state: attached
> hw.devices.fdc0.irq: 6
> hw.devices.fdc0.drq: 2
> hw.devices.fdc0.ioport: 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7

Exactly that was the reason why I started working on dynamic sysctls.

> Windows-like Device Manager, anyone?

From your 'sysinfo' program to device manager it's only a minor
step... Just add libdialog, throw some menus and off we go :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----