Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:12:05 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First commands

At 01:29 PM 10/5/98 +0300, Viljo Hakala wrote:
>> cd
>> pwd
>> mkdir
>> ls
>> cp
>> mv
>> rm
>> more
>> exit
>> date
>> df
>> more
>> du
>> /stand/sysinstall
>> ee
>> man
>> locate
>> find
>> nethack
>> ps
>> kill
>> top
>> pkg_add
>> pkg_info
>>
>gcc, chown, chmod, mount/unmount, mail, finger, who, piping (|), telnet,
>ssh, at/atq/atrm, grep, xargs, whois, tar, gzip, file, sed, su/sudo,
>compress/uncompress, sleep, vi, uname, ping, cat, echo, ln, rmdir, stty,
>less/zless, fsck, fdisk, ifconfig, mkfs, mkswap, reboot, shutdown,
>adduser, crontab, ftp, lpr/lpq/lprm, talk, write, traceroute, make, bc,
>host, nslookup, irc, killall, skill, last, man, mesg, passwd, patch,
>rlogin, uptime, job processing (for/background), time, touch,  zip/unzip,
>wall are all good for starters.

Woah, there's alot of "experience required" commands up there, but at least
their good to know.  One that you may have forgotten is 'tail -f'  which is
a great tool for looking at /var/log/messages.  But you also have a pretty
good list there.  I've used most of those but not all of them.

Joey bear Garcia