Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 22:57:58 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Subject:   Re: Richard Stallman came to town

On Wednesday, 12th May 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

>Sorry, but it sounds as if you've bought Stallman's line of propaganda
>rather than what he really thinks. These come out better in a one-on-one
>conversation. He really does bear malice toward anyone who seeks to
>profit from intellectual property, and often states his intent to destroy
>that with which he does not agree. He has merely honed his public message
>to produce the desired effect on an audience, like a corrupt preacher
>who preaches charity and chastity but then embezzles from the collection
>plate and has illicit affairs.

I can only report my first-hand observations.  As a number of people have
written, some of his personal habits are disconcerting, almost bizarre.
But that did not stop me listening to what he said.  What he said was
very close to the software version of "Love thy neighbour", and if he
secretly harbours a desire to destroy anyone, that did not come through
in the slightest.  He distinguished his position from everyone in a quite
pedantic way, and argued against them, but never simply bad mouthed them.

In some sense it doesn't matter if he has secret destructive urges as
I won't be acting on things he didn't say, and the things he did say
can be evaluated on their merits.  I am glad that I've had this opportunity
to hear his words directly without editorial tinkering or the addition of
another person's spin.

Another reason I'm not that concerned is that I can't see GNU destroying
proprietary software.  At best we will be able to maintain a useful
bubble of free software (GPL and non-GPL) against a sea of non-free
software.  The "maniacal" leader of half of a small bit of something
might cause a little trouble, but he will not be the main problem for
many people.

To those who fear Stallman like communism, you should relax!  Communism
makes bad economic sense, but unrestrained capitalism is fatal as well.
I'm happy to see someone trying their hardest to keep our version of
capitalism from becoming total capitalism.  And I'm even happier knowing
he'll never succeed in killing it entirely.  Remember that it's the
dictatorship in conjunction with the bad economics of communism that caused
the suffering.  A democracy in charge of mostly-capitialism is the best
social system that I know of, but total capitalism is incompatible with
democracy.  Stallman is encouraging people to act based on non-monetary
motivations.  It's good to have some of that.

And finally, thanks to those who liked my report!  I tried to preserve the
flavour of meeting such a controversial figure.  But I don't think you need
be concerned about a repeat performance, unless perhaps I am visited by
Jordan, or the Pope, or maybe the Queen.

Stephen.

PS I'm sorry I started another GPL vs BSD flame war.  Forgive me...