Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:17:20 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        markd@Grizzly.COM (Mark Diekhans)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the plans for ELF support?

E-mail message from Mark Diekhans contained:

> Dear FreeBSD Deities,
>
> What are the plans for moving forward with ELF support in FreeBSD?  That is,
> will the current a.out format become legacy and all standard libraries be
> shipped in ELF?

What for?  Is there something that the half-assed[1] GNU ELF support gains
you that the a.out libraries don't have (remember: we're not Linux, a.out
libs are really dynamically--read PIC--linked)?

> Enquiring minds want to know

Likewise.

/Marino

P.S.  -current can execute (GNU|Linux) ELF bins and libs.

[1]  The second half is much fabled DWARF which nobody seems to use.