Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:26:50 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Ronald Maggio <ron_maggio2004@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An installation on SCSI Drives

Ronald Maggio wrote:

> Other then /root, /swap, /user, and /var, what other partitions are nee=
ded for a first go at FreeBSD, in Linux /home is often used, but what is =
a good lineup for FreeBSD other then the ones named so far?

First, let's get our terms correct.

A typical FreeBSD installation on one HDD uses two partitions: a FreeBSD =

partition and a swap partition. Inside the FreeBSD partition are slices, =

which are mounted under directories (mountpoints) such as /var.
So, your question seems to be about slices, not partitions.

The default FreeBSD installation doesn't have slices such as /root or=20
/user - which doesn't mean you can't create them if you want. Also, as=20
you understood, /swap as slice does not exist, because that's a separate =

partition.

If you are not sure what slices you need, you can use the "automatic"=20
option during FreeBSD install to use the defaults. Often, however, you=20
may find that some other arrangement might better suit your intended use =

of the machine.

On a "typical" server, nowadays, I set up the slices like this:

/		128 MB
/var		2 GB
/var/tmp	256 MB
/usr		4 GB
/storage	(all the rest)

Then I symlink /tmp to /var/tmp. If there will be considerable amount of =

users, then I create /storage/home and symlink /home to that. Also=20
/storage is used for various purposes depending of the tasks that the=20
server performs, such as /storage/www for webpages, /storage/mail for=20
mailboxes, /storage/share for Samba shares etc.

> The books I=92ve read so far really don=92t relate a whole lot in this =
regard.

Partitioning/slicing is largely a religious issue and everyone believes=20
their choice is The Right One, so the archives of this mailing list=20
might provide you with more material than you can digest :)

> If I need to span a partition over more than one hard drive how is this=
 done? If I were to make a large /user partition over small drives, how a=
re these partition extensions set up? Again the books don=92t relate how =
this is done during an installation.

In the days of FreeBSD 4.x, I used vinum for such purposes. In 5.x, as I =

understand, there is gvinum for the same task, but I haven't used that.=20
I much prefer hardware RAID adapters.

--=20
Toomas Aas