Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:57:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

> > That argument won't work with Media-One, Roadrunner, RCN, etc who
> > just simply *DO* *NOT* *SUPPORT* *STATIC* *IP* *ASSIGNMENTS*. How
> > can we make this any clearer to you? Its fine to say `I don't want
> > to see DHCP in the base system' when you have the choice of getting
> > a static IP. A lot of the emerging high-speed access providers
> > aren't giving you that option.
>
> Then, *BUY* the cd-rom and support the FreeBSD project.

That's not the point.  Of course, everyone is encouraged to buy CDs and
support the project.  However, if netinstalls weren't desired, then they
wouldn't be available in the first place.  Since they are, they should be
made to work for as many cases as possible.  It seems silly to allow for
esoteric netinstall methods like PLIP, but leave out something as common
as environments requiring DHCP.  And yes, I've used PLIP to install
before, on a notebook that didn't have an ethernet card at the time.

- Mike