Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 12:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ljo@po.CWRU.Edu
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI plug-n-play on Intel Premiere Baby II?

>  The Intel Premiere II (aka Plato) uses shared ISA interrupts if you
> don't mark enough ISA interrupts as available (vs "used by ISA card")
> in the plug and play subportion of the BIOS setup.
>
>  I've used three PCI cards all at different IRQs on this board.
> (video, frame grabber, and NCR810).

That does indeed work, if the cards are of different class (I have forgotten
a lot of the details about this card since I haven't touched one in almost
a year).  The real big problem comes in when you stick 2 of the same
``class'' cards in the machine, they will end up on the same IRQ.  The
``class'' I am refuring to is one of storage (disk controller), network,
memory, graphics, etc.

This created a severve problem when I first updated wcarchive to a
PCI board (it was infact a Plato), in that the 2 Bt946's ended up
sharing the same interrupt.  At that time FreeBSD did not have support
for this :-(.

I never did get it working with dual BT946's, and ended up using
AHA1542CF's to get the damn thing back on line.  From a recent
converstation with David Greenman he has not been able to make
it work with more than 2 PCI scsi controllers.  I have since done
a lot of testing here on 2 Neptune based boards and found they
work okay with 2 controllers, but add that third one and your disks
shall be scrambled like eggs :-(.

>  I'm more worried about the things Rod have said about multiple bus
> masters. I plan to use this board with NCR810 and an Imaging
> Technology bus-mastering PCI frame grabber.

You should be fine there, that is only 2 masters.  Don't try to
add a third, it will cause you grief.  To the point that it is
almost impossible to go multiuser without a panic, and if you do
get past that point expect some scambled disks as soon as you hit
3 masters at once.

I am currently testing the ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 board with 4 NCR810
controllers and I can *NOT* make the thing crash.  Tonights test
while I sleep will be 4 concurrent make worlds running on 4 disks
in chroot trees.  (I'm going to have to pull memory from other
boxes to expand this thing and build 3 new chroot test disks so
It might not get started tonight, but that is the target).

I will be writting up a complete ``Accurate Automation Motherboard
Evaluation Report'' on this board once I am finished with all of my
testing.  But so far it is a ``just works'' kind of card.  I did have
a reboot problem, but that was fixed by my posted patch to -current.

> PS I've succesfully used the BitFlow Raptor PCI frame grabber under
> FreeBSD. This was all in user mode using /dev/io to read some PCI
> BIOS variables (memory address and IRQ line) and /dev/mem to mmap
> the registers and memory (8MB region). This is shared memory access
> and the read speed is ~15.5MB/s on 90MHz Plato.

Was that from a ``C'' program using bcopy, or hand optimized assembler?
I have done concurrent disk I/O on PCI now in excess of 12MB/sec using
4 controllers :-).