Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:22:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD and Samba replace Netware?

:
:Will Samba allow me to map FreeBSD file systems to DOS drives? In other
:words, will my applications on the Windows PC's be able to access files
:seemlessly on the FreeBSD server just like they do now under Netware?
:Basically, I need the server to do the same thing it is doing now, but
:with the addition of intranet and email services. Is Samba and FreeBSD
:is viable solution?

FreeBSD + Samba is a very viable solution in this case.  You'll need
to check out the Samba web page for the specifics with configuration,
but this is exactly what Samba was designed to do.  I'm not sure if
it's completely implemented yet, but current (or future) versions of
Samba will be able to act as an NT Domain Controller, a very nice
feature if your in charge of a network loaded with WinXX clients.

The Samba webpage is located at: http://www.samba.org/

Good luck.